UIC is among the nation’s preeminent urban public research universities, a Carnegie RU/VH research institution, and the largest university in Chicago. UIC serves over 34,000 students, comprising one of the most diverse student bodies in the nation and is designated as a Minority Serving Institution (MSI), an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). Through its 16 colleges, UIC produces nationally and internationally recognized multidisciplinary academic programs in concert with civic, corporate and community partners worldwide, including a full complement of health sciences colleges. By emphasizing cutting-edge and transformational research along with a commitment to the success of all students, UIC embodies the dynamic, vibrant and engaged urban university. Recent “Best Colleges” rankings published by U.S. News & World Report, found UIC climbed up in its rankings among top public schools in the nation and among all national universities. UIC has nearly 260,000 alumni, and is one of the largest employers in the city of Chicago.
The Master’s Coordinated Program in Dietetics at UIC is ranked in the Top 35 schools to prepare Registered Dietitians (https://becomeanutritionist.org/top-35-registered-dietitian-schools/)
3 yrs of clinical nutrition experience and precepting
This position will serve as a teacher and mentor for UIC dietetic interns in their clinical rotations. The RDN will work with small groups of UIC interns for approximately 4 weeks at a time to educate them on introduction to the hospital setting, electronic medical records, note writing, and other foundational skills. In addition, the RDN will teach at least one UIC clinical course and will oversee the curriculum for all clinical nutrition courses in the program. The RDN will also assist in placing interns into clinical nutrition sites.
- Train and mentor UIC dietetic interns in clinical rotations. Instruct interns in developing nutritional care plans recognizing the needs and behaviors of various age groups, i.e., specific dietary interventions related to medical diagnoses, nutrition education appropriate for various cultural eating habits, activity levels and learning abilities. Support interns needing additional assistance in clinical rotations.
- Evaluate each intern’s progress and provide timely formative and summative feedback to the intern.
- Prepare interns to:
- Set appropriate goals and schedules for completion of competencies during the rotation.
- Maintain medical documentation and reports.
- Attend and participate in multidisciplinary patient care conferences and collaborate with medical professionals regarding individual plans for care.
- Attend professional meetings/conferences relevant to nutrition. Implement/Develop policy and procedures for nutritional protocols as needed.
- Teach at least one clinical nutrition course and oversee curriculum for clinical nutrition courses in UIC Nutrition Science program.
- Assist with intern placements into clinical sites.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Maintain CDR certification and IL licensure through appropriate professional development.
Job Knowledge & Skills, Education, Experience, Compensation
- Registered Dietitian with graduate degree.
- At least three years of clinical nutrition experience and two years of serving as a preceptor.
- Familiarity with Epic electronic medical record system is preferred.
The successful candidate
- Will function successfully in several roles, including guide, role model, counselor, coach, resource, and colleague.
- Is dedicated to demonstrating excellence in the profession.
- Will provide evidence of initiative, maturity and professionalism, attention to detail, excellent organizational ability, time management and interpersonal skills including high-quality oral and written communication skills.
- Possess current Registered Dietitian licensure from the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulations and credentials and registration from the commission of Dietetic Registration (CDR) for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
The University of Illinois Chicago (UIC) and the State of Illinois offer competitive wages, benefit programs and resources for employees. UIC is strongly committed to providing equitable benefit options throughout each stage of employment. Many benefits become effective on the first day of employment. Benefits offered by UIC include health care options, wellness programs, educational opportunities, tuition assistance, vacations, holidays and other leave benefits, and University retirement plans.
Base Salary range:
$70,000-$80,000 or commensurate with experience
This is a 12-month, full-time position. Remote work is possible when presence is not needed on campus.
Please submit the following to Shayna Oshita at [email protected]
- Cover Letter
- Resume / CV